Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Marriage visa


Basic information

  • In principle, you can only successfully apply for a visa for marriage if you intend to marry your fiancée, who is already living in Germany, immediately after your entry into Germany. The requirement for this is that the prerequisites for marriage have already been conclusively examined. This must be proven by the registration for marriage at a German registry office. Please note that the registration for marriage loses its validity six months after the date of issue.
  • Only the visa office of the Embassy in Warsaw is responsible for visa applications. The Consulates General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Krakow, Wroclaw and Gdansk do not issue visas and do not provide information on visa applications.
  • Please note that you must come to the embassy in person with all the necessary documents to submit your application. Please make an appointment via our appointment system on the Internet. Please plan that the processing time after application is usually several weeks.
  • Your application can only be accepted if the documents are complete. The documents must be submitted in the original with one copy of each. Documents in foreign languages must be submitted with an official German translation.
  • A fee of approximately 400 zloty (75,- Euro depending on the exchange rate) is charged for processing a visa application. The fee is to be paid in Polish zloty in cash at the time of application. It is a processing fee. There is no right to reimbursement in case of rejection or withdrawal of the application.

General information

The processing time is usually at least eight (8) weeks, but may increase to several months in individual cases. As soon as a decision has been reached, the applicant will be informed immediately by the Embassy. In order to relieve the visa office, it is urgently requested that applicants refrain from making status inquiries, as this delays the general processing of visa applications.

After a positive decision on the application, you will be asked to provide proof of existing travel insurance coverage for the validity period of the visa before the visa can be issued. Please note that you will need to collect your visa in person.

Please make sure that you submit complete application documents! Incomplete applications may result in rejection of the visa application.

The Embassy reserves the right to request additional documentation.

The following list allows you to check whether your application documents are complete. All documents listed here must be submitted in the requested form and order.


  • One (1) application form including instructions according to § 54 AufenthG, completely filled out and signed
  • One (1) recent biometric passport photo (format: see photo sample board)
  • Valid passport (signed by hand and with at least two (2) completely free pages)
  • One (1) plain copy of the data page of your valid passport
  • Proof of habitual and legal residence in Poland by Polish residence permit (e.g. visa/residence card), valid for at least 3 months, with one (1) copy.
    In individual cases, further proof of habitual residence (e.g. bank statements, ZUS statements, rental contracts, etc.) may be necessary.
  • Last registration certificate in Poland, with one (1) copy
  • Registration for marriage (please note that the registration for marriage loses its validity six months after the date of issue), with one (1) copy
  • If applicable: divorce decree/certificate of both fiancés. If former spouse is deceased: death certificate, with proof of authenticity, with one (1) copy
    International recognition/Legalisation of documents
    Certification and Authentication of documents
  • German language certificate A1 (dispensable if the move is to a professional, but not dispensable if the move is to a German citizen), with one (1) copy
    The language certificate must be issued by a testing provider certified according to the standards of ALTE (Association of Language Testers in Europe), which has a branch office staffed with expatriates (see also information sheet on proof of simple German language skills for spousal reunification).
  • Letter of motivation in German or English
  • Current registration certificate of the reference person in Germany
  • Proof of the reference person's right of residence in Germany (e.g. through German identity documents, residence title, etc.), with one (1) copy
  • Proof of income and housing (rental contract) of the reference person living in Germany, if applicable declaration of commitment, with one (1) copy

nach oben